[Remind-Fans] OMIT and THROUGH for every year

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed Jul 27 08:05:34 EDT 2022

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 05:50:32 -0400
"Ian! D. Allen via Remind-fans" <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> What is the best/shortest way to OMIT a range of dates in *every*
> year? The remind man page is silent on this issue.

The only way is to use individual OMITs, like this:

    OMIT Jun 1
    OMIT Jun 2
    ... etc ..

For large/custom blocks of OMITs, an OMITFUNC is currently the best
solution.  For your example, something like:

# Function that is true for our summer holidays
FSET summer_holidays(x) monnum(x) >= 6 && monnum(x) <= 8

REM SKIP ... whatever ... OMITFUNC summer_holidays MSG Won't be issued in Jun through Aug

>    OMIT Jun 1 THROUGH Aug 31     # both dates in current year
>    OMIT Sep 1 THROUGH May 31     # second date is in year following
>    OMIT Jan 31 THROUGH Jan 1     # second date is in year following

Those look reasonable.  I'll look into implementing them.

> Of course, that leads me to ask: Can "OMIT Jan" be syntactic sugar for
> "OMIT Jan 1 THROUGH Jan 31" without me having to know the number of
> days in the month?  And can "OMIT Jan THROUGH Mar" be sweet syntactic
> sugar for "OMIT Jan 1 THROUGH Mar 31", again letting the computer do
> the work of knowing how many days are in the month so that I don't
> get it wrong.

Those are also reasonable; I'll look into them.