[Remind-Fans] USHOLS Tax Day Example

Tavis Ormandy taviso at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:37:44 EST 2023

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 05:24:27PM +0000, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2023-01-14 15:41, Tavis Ormandy via Remind-fans wrote:
> > I noticed that the USHOLS example for Tax Day doesn't seem correct:
> >
> >     REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat 15 Apr MSG %"Income tax%" due
> >
> > I think Saturday and Friday shouldn't be in there, and IIUC, if it falls
> > on Fri/Sat/Sun, it's the following Tuesday (not Monday).
>
> At least according to the IRS
>
>   File on:  The fourth month after your fiscal year ends, day 15.
>
>   If your due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday,
>   the due date is delayed until the next business day. Your return
>   is considered filed on time if the envelope is properly addressed,
>   postmarked, and deposited in the mail by the due date.
>
>   Source: https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/when-to-file
>
> which doesn't mention anything about Friday.

Interesring, you're right - I was basing that on the infobox on the
Wikipedia article:

    Date
    April 15 (Monday through Thursday)
    April 17 (Monday; April 15 is Sunday)
    April 18 (Monday or Tuesday; April 15 is Friday or Saturday)

There is no citation for that, or perhaps I'm just reading it wrong!

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso at sdf.org
_\_V _( ) _( )  @taviso