[Remind-Fans] Remind use-cases (was Re: two-way caldav synchronization)

James Cook falsifian at falsifian.org
Mon Jan 30 00:46:30 EST 2023

Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> writes:
>> My events often span multiple days (e.g. a hotel stay) and I am not
>> sure remind supports those well.
>
> It supports them for some definition of "well".  Your options are basically:
>
>    REM 2023-01-23 THROUGH 2023-01-27 MSG At hotel
>
> or
>
>    REM 2023-01-23 AT 00:00 DURATION 120:00 MSG At hotel
>
> which look similar on a calendar but mean slightly different things.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I finally got around to setting up radicale-remind, and I'm impressed so
far at its ability to synchronize both ways between a clean-looking
remind file and the calendar on my phone. I haven't tried anything
complicated yet, though. Thanks Jochen! Based on this, it looks like
remind is a good place to store my calendar events even though I don't
care about actual reminders, and the lack of timezone support isn't
getting in my way yet; I'm already used to converting times to UTC.

Saša, thanks for the pointer to etm. Remind+CalDAV seems great so far,
but maybe I will try using etm for todos.

--
James