[Remind-Fans] timezone handling

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Mon Mar 6 16:49:44 EST 2023

On 2023-03-06 16:20, Justin Alcorn via Remind-fans wrote:
>> I let Remind (or more precisely, my C library) do the heavy lifting.
>> REM Sun November SATISFY [isdst($T) != isdst($T+1)] MSG Daylight
>> Saving Time Ends
>> REM Sun March SATISFY [isdst($T) != isdst($T+1)] MSG Daylight Saving
>> Time Starts
>
> In the interest of learning...how is this different from the line in
> defs.rem, and in what cases would you use each type?
> REM Sun Mar [Week_2] ++2 MSG Daylight Savings Time - %"DST
> starts%" %b

The main difference seems to be that it outsources worring about
DST from the application layer or reminder-file layer to the OS
layer.  So if you change OS settings for your timezone and locality,
you don't have to update anything in your reminder file(s).  Or,
if laws change when DST occurs and your OS updates to the new laws,
you don't need to do anything to your reminder file(s).

-tim