[Remind-Fans] Handling of inline comments

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Mon Mar 13 11:46:01 EDT 2023

On 2023-03-13 08:17, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 01:35:13 +0100 (CET)
> l0f4r0--- via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>
>> Could it be possible for remind to recognize/handle inline comments
>> starting with "#" please?
>
> No, I'm not keen on this change because it could break existing reminder
> files.  Someone might have an existing reminder like:
>
> REM whatever MSG Check pump #2

I certainly have several of these that I'd have to revisit

I'd considered the possibility of allowing it before the MSG/CAL/RUN
content (which is where all the significant "#" would be) but
realized you'd have to allow continuation so it would either look
like

  REM Mar 13 2023 # my comment \
    MSG reply about comments in reminders

or

  REM Mar 13 2023 \ # my comment
    MSG reply about comments in reminders

neither of which feels right.

Alternatively, I could see having COMMENT as another token in a
reminder like

  REM Mar 13 2023 COMMENT "blah blah" MSG reply about comments

which would allow for sorting the file (sort(1)'s -M option to
sort-by-month has proven useful for me here), but it doesn't feel
like it gains me much beyond line-adjacent comments like

> # This is a comment that should not be displayed by remind
> REM 08 February MSG My reminder

so to prevent breaking existing reminder files, I side with sticking
to what currently exists.  Unless some other brilliant
non-breaking-yet-elegant-and-easy-to-implement solution comes around.

-tim