[Remind-Fans] syntax help

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Jul 20 14:34:59 EDT 2023

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:30:15 -0400
Eben King via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> > You need to pick a reference date in the past and check it mod 14.
> Ah, I assumed it would express the date as a day count relative to the
> beginning of time.  Nope.  OK.

Well. :) Internally, of course, Remind *does* store the date as the
day count relative to the beginning of time (which we all know is
1990-01-01, James Ussher notwithstanding.)

However, in Remind expressions, a date is a distinct data type and you
can't use the modulus operator % with a date type.

> > Functions can't be defined in terms of blocks of code; they can only
> > be simple expressions.

> So if you're going to do an if-then in one, it needs to be iif()?

Yep, exactly.  That's the entire reason for iif's existence.