[Remind-Fans] Fun optimization & thanks

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Sat Nov 18 07:16:01 EST 2023

So for the month of November, I wanted to send a note each day to
someone for whom I'm thankful, and thus cobbled together a quick
calendar lke

  # thankful.rem
  REM Nov 1 2023 MSG "Annie"
  REM Nov 2 2023 MSG "Steve"
  #...
  REM Nov 30 2023 MSG "Emily"

However, this was a real pain to modify.  If I wanted to move
someone to another date, I had to renumber the dates or edit all
the intervening names.  And it was 30 different date-tests.

Instead I switched to an expression

  REM Nov 2023 MSG [choose($Td \
    ,"Annie" \
    ,"Steve" \
    # ...
    ,"Emily" \
    )]

it's (1) much less redundant, (2) a lot faster with only one date
test, and (3) a lot easier to move people around on the list.

This could also work well for an advent-calendar in December if one
was interested.

And all that to also say that today I'm thankful that you created
(and continue to maintain & enhance) remind(1)!

-tim