[Remind-Fans] Scripts to import Google calendar into Remind (was Re: Ways to use Remind)

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Tue Jan 16 10:51:00 EST 2024

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:35:24 +0900
taekoocair at wilsonb.com wrote:

> > However, I do have a script that pulls down two Google calendars
> > (personal and work) and converts them to Remind format.

> This is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to share
> said script?

Uh... the scripts are not exactly production-ready.  I'll attach
redacted versions.

Google Calendar has a way for you to make a private link to your
calendar that pulls it down in ical format.  Under Settings > Settings
for my calendars > Get shareable link, you make the link.  Keep that secret.

So the shell script update-cal-from-google pulls down the calendar
in ical format, and the Perl script ical-to-rem.pl converts it to Remind
format.  I run update-cal-from-google every 30 minutes from cron.

THESE SCRIPTS ARE SPECIFIC TO MY SETUP and will need tweaking to be
generally useful!  They are badly-commented and not production-ready.
Use at your own risk.