[Remind-Fans] Ways to Use Remind

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:03:24 EST 2024

There was a recent thread here on interesting or unusual ways people
use remind. I can't seem to find it in my e-mail account to add this,
and for breaking the thread, I'm sorry.

A couple of days ago I started writing a bash script to put the
current weather conditions into a notify-send popup and wanted a way
to use different icons based on the conditions and whether or not it
was day or night. I looked for a program to tell me when sunrise and
sunset are and, after a couple of disappointing finds, I realized I
already have one. Duh.

Using this in a separate file, I get exactly what I want.

```
BANNER %
REM Sunrise: [sunrise()] Sunset: [sunset()]
```

I parse the output through awk rather than running remind twice, but
it occurred to me afterward that I'm probably not saving much overhead
that way. Maybe I'll reconsider.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments