[Remind-Fans] build.tk programming compliment!

Larry De Coste larrydecoste at hailmail.net
Thu Apr 4 12:58:36 EDT 2024

Good afternoon Dianne,

As probably most do, I updated to the recent version. Since I run
remind on a couple of different distros, I happened to be on a
Debian testing one (Sparky JWM) that didn't have remind running yet.

Rather than the configure route, I like running build.tk to upgrade.
But since I'm lazy, I modify the defaults to be my location.
However when I ran that modified version I still got the Ottawa
defaults.  Having done some programming myself, I looked through
the code to see where it could be pulling that from. I played with
modifying the custom.h.in and custom.h as well.

You can't imagine my surprise when, after that didn't change
anything, I examined the code more carefully to discover that you
delve into remind along $PATH to get its settings!!
What had happened was that I had previously installed remind via
apt-get but had not run it yet on that distro so build.tk pulled
those defaults.

My admiration on your coding!!

Be well,
Larry

--
"While some hold that perfection is the enemy of the good,
 I've found that it is only in its pursuit that one avoids the

Larry De Coste <larrydecoste at hailmail.net>
Pawtucket RI EE.UU.
Cell/Signal/Txt: +1(401)275-3712
Linux User #305687 (JWM: Forge-Devuan-openrc, Void-musl-runit,
antiX-testing-runit, Sparky-Debian testing + Elive-Debian stable &
PCLinuxOS-rpm Plasma)