[Remind-Fans] problem bulding remind

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed May 1 09:25:21 EDT 2024

On 2024-05-01 08:39, Remind list wrote:
> I am trying to build the latest remind on OpenBSD-current.
> What I get is:
[snip]
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./../resources/tkremind.png /usr/local/share/pixmaps
> /usr/bin/install -c ./../resources/tkremind.desktop /usr/local/share/applications
[snip]
> *** Error 2 in rem2html (Makefile:25 'install': @if test "/usr/bin/perl" = "" ; then  echo "Not installing rem2html; Perl is required"; exit...)
> *** Error 2 in /home/slaurel/Downloads/remind-04.03.07 (Makefile:23 'install': @make -C rem2html install)
> /home/slaurel/Downloads/remind-04.03.07 $

My first thought is that it looks like you're doing a system install
here (you didn't do something like

  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local

to install it in a local directory), so the next question would be
whether you're running the `make install` as your user or as root?

I just pulled 04.03.07 from git on one of my OpenBSD boxes, specified
a local prefix and it built/installed uneventfully:

  $ git clone $REMIND_REPO_URL remind
  $ cd remind
  $ git checkout 04.03.07
  $ mkdir ~/local
  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local
  $ make
  $ make install

If you didn't add the `--prefix=...` when doing the ./configure,
you might need to do

  $ doas make install

(or `su -` to root and do the `make install` step).

-tim