[Remind-Fans] problem bulding remind

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed May 1 09:43:09 EDT 2024

On 2024-05-01 15:06, Remind list wrote:
> at line 75 of src/Makefile.in, there is a "fi" only prefixed
> by spaces which is probably unintentional.  GNU make is fine
> with commands continued on multiple lines not starting with
> TAB after the first line, but evidently OpenBSD make is not
> as forgiving.
>
> https://git.skoll.ca/Skollsoft-Public/Remind/src/branch/master/src/Makefile.in#L75

There are several of these

  $ find . -name Makefile -o -name Makefile.in | xargs grep -nB1 '^    '

but a quick check of them shows that the previous line has a backslash
continuation so make(1) accepts these lines despite the
space-prefix-instead-of-tab-prefix.

That said, it might be worth cleaning those up for consistency:

  $ sed -i .bak 's/^     */^I/' $(find . -name Makefile.in | xargs grep -l '^    ')

(where that ^I is a literal tab)

-tim