[RP-PPPoE] Code contributions

For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software rp-pppoe at lists.skoll.ca
Fri Dec 10 15:30:53 EST 2021

Hi Dianne,

On 2021/12/10 15:41, For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software via
RP-PPPoE wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Is there a way to clone the git repository?
> Not currently.  I do have a private git repo, but unfortunately it contains
> some code I wrote under contract and licensed to another company, and I can't
> distribute that.
>
> Give me a day or two to clean things up.  What I plan on doing is creating
> a Github repo with the current code as the initial commit.  We'll unfortunately
> lose my existing history, but since nobody else has access to it anyway,
> it's not a big deal.  Going forward, I'll just archive my personal repo
> and use the Github one as the canonical one.
I do appreciate.  History isn't crucial but it does sometimes help in
shedding light on why something is done the way it was.  If required
we'll ask.

>> I know you (Dianne) mentioned that you don't like github,
> I like Github, but I'm wary of Microsoft. :)  However, I haven't worked
I must've misunderstood one of your earlier messages on the subject.  Re
Microsoft, that makes two of us.  That said ... they're currently one of
the largest contributors to the Linux kernel as far as I know ... which
is very, very scary depending on how you choose to look at it.
> much on rp-pppoe over the last few years and if I don't make a github repo,
> at some point someone else will.  So we might as well make it official.

We discussed internally but we figured we'd rather have you (who plainly
and obviously understand the ins and outs of the stuff a lot better than
anybody else) take lead on this.  This would allow us to generate PRs
for you, and you can give us guidance.

> I am busy for the next few hours, but I hope to set this up soon.
> Your patches sound really good.

Only wrote the one (attached to previous email) so long (which solved
the big show stopper for us).  The rest of it will be solved as they
annoy us :).  Really not in a big rush (we think we've got a solve for
the MTU/MRU issue ... linux kernel issue really, but a workaround from
pppd if mtu/mru was delegated would have been a simpler "quick fix").
The alternative options we have (Mikrotik - I'm staring at you) sucks so
badly it's unusable (basically anything over about 50 active connections
on a MT device causes it to go ape periodically and disappear off the
network, running 100+ on an entry-level Linux server at the moment with
no problems using rp-pppoe).

Kind Regards,
Jaco