[RP-PPPoE] Heads-up: New RP-PPPoE version coming soonish; testers wanted

For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software rp-pppoe at lists.skoll.ca
Wed Feb 8 09:31:17 EST 2023

Hi,

The PPP project is close to releasing PPP 2.5.0 and the public API has
changed a bit.  You can grab the latest PPP from

https://github.com/ppp-project/ppp

I've had to make changes to RP-PPPoE to make it compile against PPP 2.5.0,
but I've also been careful to ensure it still works with older versions
of PPP.

If you could grab rp-pppoe master from https://github.com/dfskoll/rp-pppoe
and give it a test, I'd appreciate it!

I have tested it on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 22.  On CentOS 7, I tested
against pppd 2.4.5 and on Ubuntu 22, I tested against both pppd 2.4.9
and the current 2.5.0 candidate from GitHub.

Note that the PPP project duplicates a bunch of rp-pppoe code in the
pppd/plugins/ directory.  I had considered moving the official
RP-PPPoE client code into the PPP project instead of RP-PPPoE, but
have abandoned that idea... the reason is that user-mode PPPoE
apparently still has some use-cases (eg, on systems that don't support
shared libraries) and the PPP project does not support that.

As far as kernel-mode PPPoE goes, you should be able to use either the
pppoe.so plugin shipped by the PPP project or the rp-pppoe.so plugin
shipped by the RP-PPPoE project.  There are minor code differences,
but they should behave identically.