[Remind-Fans] Unicode problems with rem2ps and my radical solution

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Jan 27 10:54:22 EST 2022

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:49:42 +0300
rr via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Thanks. Unfortunately, my language is one of that out-of-luck
> languages. But it's strange for me that PS can't work with UTF8
> while groff can produce unicode-compatible ps documents.

So....

I have decided to bite the bullet and am writing a Remind-to-PDF
converter using the Pango text-formatting library and Cairo
graphics library to produce the PDF.  I've also fixed up Remind
so all the localizations use UTF-8 and Remind itself handles
UTF-8 just fine.

I'm not anywhere near done yet, but attached is what I have working
so far... the layout is a bit silly because the code is incomplete, but
support for Unicode is there!