[Remind-Fans] rem2pdf install doesn't obey prefix specified to configure

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sun Apr 3 12:17:14 EDT 2022

Hi,

> You're half-right. There's also a bug in rem2pdf/Makefile.top.in. The
> attached patch fixes that bug and also adds the `use lib` line.

Ah, well.  I specifically don't set INSTALL_BASE to prefix because
if (for example) you use a prefix of /usr, the Perl files don't
get installed in standard places.  That's why there's this rather
odd logic in Makefile.top.in:

        if test "$(INSTALL_BASE)" != "" ; then \
                $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(DESTDIR) "INSTALL_BASE=$(INSTALL_BASE)" && exit 0; \
        elif test "$(prefix)" = "/usr" ; then \
		$(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(DESTDIR) INSTALLDIRS=vendor && exit 0; \
        else \
		$(MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(DESTDIR) && exit 0; \
        fi; \
	exit 1;

If our prefix is /usr, we use Perl's "INSTALLDIRS=vendor" which means
"Put it in the standard place for vendor-supplied Perl modules"
and is different from "INSTALL_BASE=/usr"

I think a better approach is to set INSTALL_BASE to prefix as long as
prefix is not /usr or /usr/local.

And the patch that fixes "use lib" only works for non-standard
prefix (ie, not /usr or /usr/local) but that's fine... it shouldn't
hurt to put it in anyway.

Perl's ExtUtils::MakeMaker is actually terrible and doesn't coexist
well with autoconf. :(