[Remind-Fans] maintaining *.rem files

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sat Jul 9 21:32:45 EDT 2022

On Sat, 9 Jul 2022 19:06:15 -0400
Eben King via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I think I'm the same.  For the one I redo every day, I enter the
> times & events in my own terse rigid format that's easy for me to
> parse, then run a preprocessor to generate the *rem file.  The rest,
> for recurring or one-off events, are in their own files.  Usually I
> only have to modify them once every week or three.

I just realized that I hardly ever hand-edit any reminder files.  My
$HOME/.reminders is a directory with all my *.rem files inside it.
All the tricky hand-edited things are reminders that I set up once and
then forget, like my garbage-collection day that moves around if a holiday
occurs prior to it during the week.

Most of my frequent changes are done either with TkRemind, which is
always running on my desktop, or via my Google calendar that gets
slurped in and converted to Remind syntax by a cron job that runs
every 30 minutes.

The screenshot on the Remind project page at
https://dianne.skoll.ca/imgs/tkremind-dark.png is pretty much what my
desktop calendar looks like.