[Remind-Fans] OMIT and THROUGH for every year

Ian! D. Allen idallen at idallen.ca
Thu Jul 28 02:32:31 EDT 2022

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 08:05:34AM -0400, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> Those look reasonable.  I'll look into implementing them.

Yay!  Thanks for considering this.

> The only way is to use individual OMITs, like this:  [...]
> For large/custom blocks of OMITs, an OMITFUNC is currently the best
> solution.

While we're waiting for a possible future remind enhancement, please
add your helpful examples to the OMIT section of the remind man page.

(Of course, you get to decide whether it's more work to add the examples
to the man page or to change the code!)

Below appears to be a solution using the current version of remind, since
it works for the current year every year and also works in calendars
with future years:

    OMIT Jun 1 [$Uy] THROUGH Aug 31 [$Uy]

OMITs that cross year-ends have to be rewritten as two separate OMITs:

   OMIT Sep 1 [$Uy] THROUGH Dec 31 [$Uy]
   OMIT Jan 1 [$Uy] THROUGH May 31 [$Uy]

The above are much simpler than using an OMIT for every individual day,
and they become part of the global OMIT list and don't need an OMITFUNC.
You didn't accept these as solutions, so I wonder where they break?