[Remind-Fans] French translation optimization

l0f4r0 at tuta.io l0f4r0 at tuta.io
Sat Aug 6 05:21:51 EDT 2022

Hello Dianne,

One more time, thanks a lot for leading remind development, it's really a great piece of software. You've thought about lots of functionalities and you're really quick to help people :)

> I suspect the weirdness is caused by UTF-8 characters in your files
> that look like spaces but are not.  Once again, running with the
> -deftx debugging flags might reveal the answer.

Ok, I spotted the issue with new fresh eyes: it was all about files precedence by naming.

My line:
     INCLUDE [$SysInclude]/lang/fr.rem
was in a file that was 2nd in the list.

Depending on the 1st remind to be triggered, the content was in english or french:
* If the 1st triggered remind was in a file before the 2nd one (it was the case yesterday), the 1st line or `rem` and the remind itself were in english.
* Otherwise, all was in french.

I've renamed my file containing my INCLUDE statement so it is 1st in the file lising. No issue anymore.

6 août 2022, 01:11 de dianne at skoll.ca:

>> * Is it possible to override the hour/minute separator?
>> For example I would like to have "10h15" instead of "10:15".
>>
> Unfortunately, that's not possible.

Ok, maybe as a suggestion for a future development one day? :)

>> * Is "at" used elsewhere than for "%3" substitution filter?
>> If yes, would it be possible to create a new substitution filter with
>> only hh:mm (no "at" prefix)?In the meantime I've overriden $At="".
>>
> You can use the %*3 variant instead of %3 to omit the "at".
>
> The man page is very long, but it notes:
>
>  o      The  a,  c, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, u, v, 2, and 3 substitutions
>  may be preceded by an asterisk (for example, %*c)  which  causes
>  the  word  "at"  or  "on" that would normally be included in the
>  output to be omitted.

Indeed, thanks, it works!

Another question please:

I have the impression that subst_ordinal() overrides behavior of substitution filters only (at least according to the man page). Could it be possible to make it override ord() function as well?

Indeed, I'm using the following function:
     FSET married(x) "(" + ord(($Uy-x))  + ")"
but for example it's still written "4th" in the output of `rem` instead of "4ème" despite my function:
     FSET subst_ordinal(d) iif(d == 1, "er(e)", d == 2, "nd(e)", "ème")

l0f4r0