[Remind-Fans] REM with addition (+) in expression pasting not displayed in calendar views

l0f4r0 at tuta.io l0f4r0 at tuta.io
Sun Aug 7 17:37:17 EDT 2022

Hi Dianne,
7 août 2022, 17:17 de remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 17:01:46 +0200 (CEST)
> l0f4r0--- via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>
>> It seems my REM with an addition (+) in expression pasting (related
>> with easterdate(today()) at least) don't work completely.
>>

> You are breaking the Remind algorithm.  One way to get it to work is
> to use:
>
> REM [easterdate(year(today()))+49] ++7 MSG %"Pentecost%" %b%
>
> Run it with the various debugging flags; watch the Intro to Remind
> video and read the slides at
> https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/download/remind-oclug.pdf to
> understand the Remind algorithm and figure out why my version
> works. :)
>
> Specifically, run both versions on 2022-04-16 (day before Easter 2022)
> and 2022-04-18 (day after Easter 2022) and see the difference.

OK, thanks, I understand now the pro of using "year(today())" or "$Uy" in order to compute correct trigger date for the very next Pentecost when run after Easter.

If my "NB" below is correct, I think my issue was that Pentecost dates (as defined by "easterdate(today())+49") could never be placed on a calendar because they were always postponed to the next year when today date goes over Easter.
Is that right please?

NB: trigger dates are reevaluated each day from the calendar period submitted.
For example, with "-c2", today date is increased by 1 day at a time during a 2-month period and when trigger date for a REM is equal to the today value, then it's placed on the calendar on the corresponding day.

Thanks in advance.
l0f4r0