[Remind-Fans] Long-term notifications

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 19 10:06:28 EDT 2022

On 2022-10-19 09:14, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> Scott Schulz wrote:
>
> > If I have a task for which I want significant advance notice, I can
> > add the +90 argument to the date.  But then I will see a reminder
> > every day of that 90 day period.  Is there an easy way to have, say a
> > reminder once a week until maybe the last 7 days, and then switch to
> > daily again?  Or would that require multiple REM statements?
>
> Yep.  Use a WARN function.  See the Remind man page, section
> "PRECISE SCHEDULING".

For an example, you might do 90-day scheduling with weekly reminders like:

  FSET weekly(x) iif(x > (90 / 7), 0, 90 + 1 - (x*7))
  REM Jan 31 2023 WARN weekly MSG Important Thing on [$T]

Alternatively, I've also used expression replacement to remind me
once on a particular day of the week but then not clutter my calendar
with intermediary fore-warnings

  FSET born(y) "(" + ($Ty-y) + "yo)"
  FSET church() iif($Uw == 0, 6, 0)
  REM Oct 26 ++[church()] MSG Dave's birthday [born(1983)] %c

This will give me notice on Sunday that Dave's birthday is coming
up on Wednesday, so if I see Dave at church on Sunday, I can wish
him a happy upcoming birthday.  If I don't see him on Sunday, I can
send him a message on his actual birthday.  But I won't see reminders
about his birthday on my calendar on the intervening days.

There's likely a way I could be doing that with a WARN function,
but I haven't taken the time to figure out how.

-tim