[Remind-Fans] OMIT syntax (was Re: A-Day / B-Day)

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Tue Aug 27 10:39:16 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-27 09:58, Remind list wrote:
> Tim Chase wrote:
> >   OMIT Dec 23 2024 THROUGH Jan 6 2025 \
> >       SATISFY [$Uw > 0 && $Uw < 6] \
> >       MSG Christmas Break
>
> This does not do what you think.  In fact, I'm surprised Remind doesn't
> issue a syntax error here because that's not valid syntax for Remind.
> I'll need to fix this for a future version.

Interesting.

It seems to do what I intended though.  The whole break gets OMITted,
(which makes sense if the SATISFY clause is ignored, and isn't a
problem since the school-day events are fine being omitted whether
it's the whole range or just the weekdays) but the OMIT reminders
only show up on my calendar on week-days which is what I intended
the block to do.

> Also, $Uw is the weekday of *today*, not the weekday of the
> trigger date (which would be $Tw) so even if the SATISFY clause
> did kick in, it wouldn't do what you probably want.

Hmm, okay.

Testing this didn't make a difference -- both $Tw and $Uw exhibited
the same (desired) behavior of not displaying the "Christmas Break"
message on weekends.  [confused face]

Is there some better way I should have expressed this "OMIT the
range of dates, but only display the message on weekdays"?

Thanks!

-tim