[Remind-Fans] Inherent meaning to PRIORITY values?

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 28 10:45:30 EDT 2024

Howdy, y'all,

It occurred to me today that I don't remember giving much thought
to the PRIORITY values assigned.

I know the default ($DefaultPrio) is 5000, in the middle of the
0-to-9999 range.

It occurred to me today that sorting with -g defaults to sorting
priorty *ascending* which meant that my "high priority" items (>5000)
were sorting *below* my lower-priority items.

It's easy enough to tweak my shell-aliases so that they uses -gaada
instead of the default "aaaa", but it occurred to me that I might
have mistakenly inverted what the priority-number means.

It's not too complex for me to switch since I define some constants

  SET PRIO_LOWEST 0
  SET PRIO_LOW 3000
  SET PRIO_HIGH 8000
  SET PRIO_HIGHEST 9999
  SET IMPORTANT "PRIORITY " + PRIO_HIGH

and then use things like

  REM Apr 1 [IMPORTANT] MSG Don't get fooled

throughout my reminder files.  And there are a couple places like
my msgprefix() where that priority is compared to set prefix
colors[1] based on whether a task is low/high priority.

Does remind make any internal assumptions on whether 0 or 9999 is
"high priority"?

Thanks!

-tim

[1]
this family of functions in case anybody wants to play them, or
y'all have any critiques.  The goal is to have my agenda-view emit
things like

  WORK: Call with client

where the prefix comes from the filename in which the reminder was
stored ("work.rem"), and it's red if it's important (bright red if
it's the current day in question; I might need to change this to
compare with realtoday() instead), or gray if it's low-priority.

  SET remind_dir getenv("HOME") + "path/to/reminders/"

  # returns the uppercase filename sans-extension: foo.rem -> FOO
  FSET fileprefix(x) upper( \
      substr(filename(), \
          strlen(remind_dir)+1, \
          strlen(filename())-4 \
          ) \
      )

  FSET prefixcolor(x) iif( \
      x > $DefaultPrio, \
      iif($U == $T, ansicolor(BrRed), ansicolor(Red)), \
      iif(x < $DefaultPrio, ansicolor(Gry), ansicolor(Wht)) \
      )

  FSET msgprefix(x) \
      prefixcolor(x) + \
      fileprefix(x) + \