[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe plugin - receiving PADT's

Ken Bantoft ken at netfunctional.ca
Tue Jun 2 10:04:23 EDT 2009

On 29-May-09, at 7:13 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Ken Bantoft wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that the rp-pppoe plugin (as part of pppd-2.4.4) doesn't
>> deal with receiving PADT's - it ignores them entirely.  The rp-pppoe
>> packate handles them fine - it's just the plugin that doesn't
>> handle them.
>
> The plugin just sets up the connection.  After that, the kernel code
> is supposed to handle PADT.
>
> See a recent Linux kernel, pppoe.c, function "pppoe_disc_rcv"
>
> -- David.

Thanks... that helps a fair bit.  Sadly, it doesn't seem to actually
work  (at least in 2.6.24.5  - and no Changelogs seems to indicate
anything has been done since).  If just a PADT is sent, without LCP
Term beforehand, the connection stays up until the LCP echos timeout
(if enabled) or forever.

Ken