[RP-PPPoE] howto auto reconnect? bash script or is there a better way

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 9 21:08:10 EDT 2009

Dan Carl wrote:

> I installed rp-pppoe via yum and ran the adsl-setup script.
> All is good and if I reboot it automatically reconnects.
> My problem is when I power off an on the modem (I'm basically simulating
> an IP change as its dynamic)
> It doesn't automatically reconnect.

Caveat: I'm not sure how the RPM packages have mangled rp-pppoe.  I'm
going based on the source version.

The pristine source "pppoe-connect" script, by default, will set
the lcp-echo-failure and lcp-echo-interval options that will make pppd
exit if the modem is down.  pppoe-connect will reconnect when it notices
that.

-- David.