[RP-PPPoE] Problem with dual internet link using PPPoE and PPP over a serial link.

Luis Pablo Perez lpperez at adinet.com.uy
Sun Oct 4 11:01:37 EDT 2009

Hello,

Is it possible to start, in the same host, two connections, one using PPPoE and
the other one just PPP over a serial link ?

What I want to do is share two different Internet links on the same Linux server
using iproute2.

The problem I am having is that when PPPoE link starts (say on ppp0) then
the other link (say on ppp1) stops working.

While traffic over ppp0 works fine:

   incoming traffic from internet on ppp1 reaches MANGLE/PREROUTING and
   NAT/PREROUTING but it doesn't show show up in MANGLE/INPUT or
   MANGLE/FORWARD. Because of this issue, this packets don't get into
   FILTER/INPUT  or FILTER/FORWARD and in turn into user space.

   outgoing traffic to this interface works fine, I see packets
   going out and the answers from the remote servers coming in but as
   the answers are incoming traffic, it is discarded by the kernel
   after NAT/PREROUTING.

Both interfaces are UP and using tcpdump I can see the traffic on ppp1.
I don't have DROP rules in this chains and the policy on all chains in NAT
and MANGLE is ACCEPT.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS with a vanilla kernel 2.6.29.1 from kernel.org
(compiled by miself) ppp 2.4.4 and the kernel mode rp-pppoe.

Thank you for your help.
Pablo