[RP-PPPoE] How to get Access concentrator's name ?

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 21:47:23 EST 2010

----- Original Message ----

From: Ashmath Khan <hashmat.email at gmail.com>
To: For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software <rp-pppoe at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Thu, January 28, 2010 8:43:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RP-PPPoE] How to get Access concentrator's name ?

Thanks David.

Can you please let me know which part of source code to modify ?
Say, I want to have an additional option to pppoe like '-B'.
So running 'pppoe -B' should list all the access concentrator's name
for the current active sessions.

And, do you know in Linux, is there any other way to get AC's name ?

thanks
Ashmath

Hi Ashmath,
          As David has mentioned, there is no ready way to get the AC name for now.
However,
getting it by modifying code should not be very difficult. We come to
know the AC name during discovery. You can just store it wherever you
want (file/ram//proc) and read it from there. Have a look at parsePADOTags() in
discovery.c. Also, after the session is over you will have to delete the AC name associated with the session that ended. You can associate the AC name with the session id so that, you delete the right one after a session ends. Viewing the file which contains the AC names will give an effect of running 'pppoe -B' as you mention. Since you are simply appending the names to a common file, you won't need knotty IPC. You can simply have a lock file (like many other programs do) and, synchronize your file writes on that. AFAIU, this shouldn't complicate matters much.

HTH.

Folks, CMIIW.

Thanks and regards,
Pranav