[RP-PPPoE] PPPoE relay - forwards unknown MAC address packets

Ashmath Khan hashmat.email at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 05:33:43 EDT 2010

> So what you are saying is that you see stray packets comming from the
> wan side, which is being forwarded to the lan side then. Can you produce
> a tcpdump capture of the packets in question? Also can you show us your
> pppoe-relay configuration?

Hi Mike,

The device i am using currently doesn't support tcpdump but I did capture
wireshark dump on both LAN and WAN side i.e, I ran wireshark on the
PC(Ubuntu) which is acting as pppoe server and on the LAN PC(windows)
where pppoe client is run. From the server PC i injected a PADT packet
but with wrong destination MAC address using packeth software, I see
that the on the client PC, the packet is received and the pppoe
session is killed. Please let me know if this is a pppoe software
issue and where should I look for to fix this. I am attaching the
wireshark captured files.
pppoe relay is run like this:
pppoe-relay -C br1 -S eth5 -n 4 -i 600 -F
  this is run from an application after doing fork and execv

thank you.
-Hashmat