[RP-PPPoE] RP-PPPoE downlink performance on iOS/iPhoneOS

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 7 10:52:08 EDT 2010

On 10/07/10 06:51, Nathan Anderson wrote:

> I've wanted PPPoE client support on my (jailbroken) iPhone for a
> while, and kept waiting for either Apple or some rogue developer to
> wise up and make it happen.  Yesterday, I finally got tired of waiting
> and decided to do something about it myself. ;)

I'm torn... on the one hand, I'm happy you've jailbroken your iPhone.  On
the other hand, I have a serious hatred for all things Apple. :)

> (I haven't watched the CPU utilization of the phone yet during these
> tests, but I did quickly try to use synchronous PPP mode, and the
> PPP session doesn't even come up when I do that.)

Synchronous mode relies on an ioctl call that's probably
Linux-specific.  I would guess the fact that you're stuck with
user-mode PPP (including stuffing/unstuffing escape characters and
verifying the CRC) is what's killing your performance.  I don't
understand why it would only affect the downlink, though... it should
affect uplink just as badly too.

Regards,

David.

PS: My anti-Apple rant is at http://david.skoll.ca/blog/2010-05-18-anti-apple.html