[RP-PPPoE] RP-PPPoE downlink performance on iOS/iPhoneOS

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 7 15:44:21 EDT 2010

On 10/07/10 15:35, Nathan Anderson wrote:

> Are you saying that synchronous mode is dependent on N_HDLC?

Yep.  Setting that line discipline makes the pseudo-tty hand out one entire
packet (and only one packet) per read() system call.  Without that line
discipline, you get however many bytes the terminal driver has queued up,
and you can't detect packet boundaries.  (Hence the need to treat it as
a dumb serial line and look for PPP escape characters.)

> You'd think so, logically...but I just observed load on the device
> during a download, and it's coming nowhere close to maxing out the CPU
> (20-30% load on the processor).

Huh, weird... I have no clue.

Regards,

David.