[RP-PPPoE] Can't attach PPP right after detach

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Nov 22 10:03:06 EST 2010

On 11/22/2010 04:51 AM, Martinez Marcos wrote:
>   pppoe-server -I eth1 -C Dummy-DSLAM -S DSL-Service

I think this is your problem. You are relying mostly on defaults to make
this work, but unfortunately one of those defaults is 'user space' pppoe
as opposed to kernel mode pppoe. I belive the userspace pppoe driver is
unsutiable for server use and although it can work, in your case, I
belive it's the cause of your problem. Please try this command line
instead to start the server:

pppoe-server -k -I eth1 -C Dummy-DSLAM -S DSL-Service

The '-k' is what we want here. Your host will need to have some modules
loaded for this to work. Based on your 'ps' output it looks like you
have a desktop - so maybe module autoprobing will work for you. If you
get problems however, 'modprobe pppoe' should usually suffice.

You are also missing other specfic configurations, such as the maximum
number of simultaneous sessions. It seems here you are using a local
file for authentication and have set ip addresses and such in it; this
is certainly valid, but be aware that for more serious use having a
local file will quickly be a management headache and that radius is the
preferred solution. Also, you will want to tune your host to turn off
unnecessary services. Having an X desktop might not in itself be bad if
you have sufficient ram, but hosts (unlike routers) do things like
auto-update packages, update their slocate database, and other things
which can cause occasional peformance problems since these tasks aren't
really compatible with being a pppoe server.

Let us know what happens with the above, and send your syslog if this
doesn't fly for you.

-ILC