[RP-PPPoE] Multilink PPPoE

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Tue Nov 1 18:35:29 EDT 2011

A bit stuck here wondering what to do... Wondering if there is anyone here
who might even give me a pointer to the source of the issue I'm
having...

Anyway - I have a Linux router, multiple Ethernet ports, and 2 ADSL lines
which the ISP has bonded. I need to get multilink PPPoE going.

And I can - that's not the issue - the issue is that the router seems to
corrupt outgoing SYN packets when the lines are bonded.

I can bring either line up on it's own with the multilink setting in the
config file and it's fine - can transfer data OK, but when I bring the 2nd
line in, it joins the bundle, and it's still fine - any transfer in
progress keeps on going - double the speed - until something sends a SYN
up or down the line, then the router sends out a corrupted packet out on
one link and the far-end doesn't like it.

I've tried various kernels from 2.6.27 to 3.0.4 with the same results. The
underlying Linux distro is Debian 6, but I've also tried the userland
PPPoE drivers as well as the kernel ones.

This is in the UK if that makes a different - the router is an intel
processor with 8 Ethernet ports - 2 of them go to Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL
modems which act as PPPoA to PPPoE bridges (PPPoA over the copper phone
lines to the exchange and to the ISP) The same router is running another
PPPoE connection to a 3rd Vigor 120 to a different ISP - this is fine,
although I have tried a separate router when I was fiddling with kernel
versions, etc.

So does anyone actually have a working multilink PPPoE setup?

Or any pointers on where I might be going wrong (if I am - right now, I
can't see what's wrong other than pointing the finger at the mulilink code
in the kernel causing the corruption)

Thanks,

Gordon