[RP-PPPoE] Req:Hints for mulitple pppoe-server instances

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jun 1 11:00:49 EDT 2012

On 06/01/2012 06:47 AM, hbreschner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I explain my issue and maybe someone can give me a hand.
>
> I have a dslam with a debian linux 6.0 desktop running as PPPoE server
> for dsl router authentication.
> While I am using the last rp-ppoe 3.10 release with IPv4, I would like
> to provide different routes for different PPPoE credentials.
>
> For this I am using CHAP and provide IPaddress pool 192.168.100.x to the
> X to a dsl router.
> Each user receive a specific IP address.
> Now, I would like to redirect the traffic for users:"user01"-"user10"
> too gateway A, while "user11"-"user20" use gateway B.
> The man page was very useful, but some how I missed the key info how I
> can hand over a different standard gateway to the ppp clients.
>
> I searched a lot about that topic, and I realized that I can specify
> launch different rp-pppoe server instance.
>
> 1) Can I Handover different standard gateways to different routers?
> 2) If I have to run different pppoe server instances, how do separate
> the pid files?

Hello,

	I don't think what you are trying to accomplish would be facillitated
in any way by using two different pppoe server processes. The net goal
you are describing is that you want traffic from a given ppp interface
to be routed out some gateway other than default. This is the domain of
policy routing and is outside the scope of what pppoe-server does.

	There are some hooks in pppd that allow you an opportunity to set up
routes and do other processing when ppp is brought up or down ( see
/etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down scripts from the ppp man page for
more info). The general idea then is that at 'ip-up' time, you would
decide which gateway this connection should use, and apply policy
routing to make it so. One way is to have a rule such as 'ip rule add
iif pppX table XXX', which would force packets comming from the ppp link
to be routed according to a different (non-default) routing table. A
more complicated but scalable solution would be to use the FWMARK target
to mark packets from this link and have a small table of rules keyed off
fwmark instead. Although you'd have to be making decisions about the
gateway in advance, using fwmark will greatly increase the performance
of your packet forwarding. Also, if you want to look at (in your
scripts) the radius response, you can include radattr.so in your ppp
plugins / ppp options. This can allow you to have per-user radius
attributes that your script can look at and make decisions based on,
giving you even more control.

Good luck.
-ILC