[RP-PPPoE] pppd zombies on k3.x with rp-pppoe 2.11 beta

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jul 30 16:45:59 EDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:37:04 +0200
"Sascha W." <master.b.at.raven at chefmail.de> wrote:

> translated: its not the pppd process. a pppoeserver subprocess dies
> and doesnt kill his pppd partner so he becomes zombie.

Unlikely.  pppoe-server forks, but then the child process immediately
execs pppd.  So there are only two processes: The parent pppoe-server
process and the child pppd process.

If the pppd process exits, the parent pppoe-server should get SIGCHLD and
clean up.  If the parent pppoe-server process is terminated, then all of
its children become children of init and should get cleaned up.

Maybe you could post the output of:

      pstree -p -l

so we can see the parent and child process relationships?

Regards,

David.