[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe and vlans

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Sep 27 14:00:45 EDT 2012

On 09/27/2012 05:23 AM, Tiago wrote:
> Hello all,
> How are you doing vlans with pppoe-server? Which kind of configs are
> necessary? How do you allocate IPs? Using freeradius ? or using
> ip-pool file?

VLANS are just another interface for pppoe-server to listen on and serve
requests on. It doesn't have sophisticated per-interface configuration
rules or anything like that, so depending on how specfic you need to be,
you may have to run multiple instances of the server.

VLANS are configured in the operating system, pppoe-server has no
awareness of them. Typically under linux you would use the vconfig tool
to do so.

> Are you using public IPs for pppoe-interfaces or private IPs? How do
> you use pppoe-server command line to start this scenario?

The server side ip assigned to the point-to-point interface only shows
up in the customer router as a /32, at best. In practice, you likely
could use a single ip like the default '10.0.0.1' without causing any
issues. Correctness, in my opinion however, would be to have the server
use it's loopback address (if you have one assigned for dynamic routing
purposes; I am not talking about 127.0.0.1, but rather a /32 usually
given to the 'loopback' interface which identifies the box in the
hierarachy of dynamic routing gateways, assuming you are doing so). Or,
any other public address you have reserved for the box. By using a
public address, you are ensuring uniqueness in that you are not putting
a conflicting, duplicate or overlapping address in the customers routing
table.

pppoe-server -I vlanX -I vlanY -I vlanZ -L my.public.ip.address ....
other options go here...

> How many customers per vlan are you using? How is the impact on the
> network (loops, broadcasts, etc...) in your experience?

There's lots of issues to think about here.

Using vlans allows you to segment your network. Depending on the type of
network you have - eg: wireless, dsl, or what have you - there are
various advantages you can gain and various scaling issues you may face.

I would certainly reccomend using vlans to group customers together, say
by pop or 'proximity' to the server. Another use is to take advantage of
multiple cores in your server box by using vlans and having seperate
instances of pppoe-server running and listening on those interfaces.
pppoe-server doesn't use hash tables internally and instead uses linear
list lookups, so some control protocol functions can case the server to
expend significant time looking up the 'right' ppp instance to associate
the control packet with. These are things like padt for example. Since
pppd is a seperate process per user it won't help with individual
connections, but rather just having multiple server instances helps with
overall scale.

I have run about 1000 subscribers on a vlan and while 'it works', better
network design on my part would have reduced this. I think in my case
judicious use of a pppoe-relay in some parts of the network would have
had good effect.

> Thanks very much!

-ILC