[RP-PPPoE] Multiple PPPoE sessions over 1 ethernet port

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Apr 5 17:42:06 EDT 2013

On 04/05/2013 02:21 PM, Dave wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have run multiple pppoe sessions on 1 server for a years without
> issue, but each is either on a different physical NIC (different modems)
> or there are 2 sessions to the same BRAS/DSLAM (whatever), so same modem.
>
> I'm now faced with a new issue. 2 ISPs, 2 Modems, but 1 Ethernet Port.
> Is this possible?
>
> How does rp-pppoe know which session to maintain over which modem (does
> it even, can this even be done)?
>
> I'm likely going to try it next week unless someone has a good reason
> for me not to, any pointers would be very welcome too!

This cannot be done without significant 'help' since there's nothing
that binds a session to a modem otherwise.

1) if your ISP's have unique pppoe 'service names', you could have your
sessions request these names instead of the default '*'.

2) if you have a vlan capable switch, you can create two seperate vlans
(say, 10 and 20), and then on your server create 802.1q tagged vlans on
your ethernet (say, eth0.10 and eth0.20), and then create seperate pppoe
sessions on those interfaces.

Good luck.

-ILC