[RP-PPPoE] pppoe server upgrade

Petre Bandac petre at kgb.ro
Mon Jun 24 06:31:24 EDT 2013

hallo

after upgrading os of an old pppoe server, I have a very high load on
the server (mostly caused by the CPU consumption of each ppp process)

old server

debian 5

ppp 2.4.4
rp-pppoe 3.10
kernel 2.6.26

new machine

debian 6 64 bit

ppp 2.4.5
rp-pppoe 3.10
kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

config are the same (copied from the old one to the new one)

############
pppoe-server-options
plugin rp-pppoe.so
plugin radius.so
plugin radattr.so
radius-config-file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf

require-pap
login
lcp-echo-interval 10
lcp-echo-failure 6
ms-dns 208.67.222.222
ms-dns x.x.x.x
debug
logfile /var/log/pppd

mru 1472
mtu 1472
show-password

###

pppoe start instance

/usr/sbin/pppoe-server -I eth2.10 -C atom -L 91.206.194.2 -S atom -o
250 -N 250

as an observation, on the newer kernel, the -k switch is always
rejected (/usr/sbin/pppoe-server: invalid option -- 'k'), however the
process starts and is listed as running with the -k switch

where should I look for answers to this behavior ?

Thanks,

petre

--

Petre Bandac