[RP-PPPoE] IPv6 support

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 30 10:26:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:34:48 -0300
Marcelo Gondim <gondim at linuxinfo.com.br> wrote:

> I'm new user and I would like to know if rp-pppoe support IPv6
> protocol.

rp-pppoe is a layer-2 protocol so it doesn't care about your network
protocol.  IPv6 is handled by pppd.  To give you a concrete answer: Yes,
rp-pppoe works with IPv6.  I'm using it right now:

$ ping6 -n www.ipv6.roaringpenguin.com
PING www.ipv6.roaringpenguin.com(2607:f748:1200:fb:70:38:112:54) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 2607:f748:1200:fb:70:38:112:54: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=45.8 ms

> Another question I would like to know is how I can have concurrent
> users with rp-pppoe?  I could have a box with 10000 users connected
> simultaneously?

If you use kernel-mode PPPoE and have a fast machine with lots of memory,
that shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

David.