[RP-PPPoE] IPv6 support

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Jul 30 12:35:53 EDT 2013

On 07/29/2013 04:34 PM, Marcelo Gondim wrote:

> Another question I would like to know is how I can have concurrent users
> with rp-pppoe?
> I could have a box with 10000 users connected simultaneously?

Although david answered this I want to add a supplemental opinion.

Technically, yes, you can run with 10,000 users. With that said however,
for practical purposes, you would suffer performance issues at that
level which may not be solved just by using a faster box. The processing
of pppoe control frames is single threaded and is hindered by linear
table lookups, which works well up to moderately busy networks in terms
of the rate of connecting/disconnecting sessions, but could potentially
stall out and reject users or drop requests once the magic threshold is
reached. I would recommend using vlans to segment your users and run
multiple rp-pppoe instances instead with an eye of keeping it to a
maximum of say 1000 users per instance instead, which would greatly
limit this effect.

-ILC