[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe.so in kernel mode

Palasamudram, Chaitra (NSN - IN/Bangalore) chaitra.palasamudram at nsn.com
Wed Sep 25 08:17:58 EDT 2013

Hi Adrian,

One more point in my environment is : I will not be directly running on the same platform. I am using a cross compiler to compile on some build server. My actual target or the machine is different.

Would it make any difference for building the plugin. Because in the below procedure you are mentioning the path for the PPPD binary.

Thanks again.

Regards
Chaitra

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Adrian Ban [mailto:adrian at abtelecom.ro]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:41 PM
To: Palasamudram, Chaitra (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
Cc: For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software
Subject: Re: [RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe.so in kernel mode

On Debian GNU Linux for example:

root at RouterFW:/home/adrian# dpkg -l | grep ppp
ii  ppp                               2.4.5-5.2 amd64
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - daemon
ii  ppp-dev                           2.4.5-5.2 all
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - development files
root at RouterFW:/home/adrian#

Which has already the rp-pppoe plugin compiled:

root at RouterFW:/home/adrian# ls  -1 /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/
minconn.so
openl2tp.so
passprompt.so
passwordfd.so
pppoatm.so
pppol2tp.so
radattr.so
radius.so
radrealms.so
rp-pppoe.so
winbind.so
root at RouterFW:/home/adrian#

As you can see already has the rp-pppoe.so.
So far so good.

Now:
root at RouterFW:/opt/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.11/src# PPPD=/usr/sbin/pppd
./configure --enable-plugin
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for id... /usr/bin/id
checking for Linux 2.4.X kernel-mode PPPoE support... yes
checking packing order of bit fields... reversed
On this platform, the following targets will be built:
pppoe pppoe-server pppoe-sniff pppoe-relay rp-pppoe.so
Type 'make' to compile the software.
root at RouterFW:/opt/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.11-debian/src# make

If you are using Debian package builder change the line:

         test -f src/Makefile || (cd src && PPPD=/usr/sbin/pppd ./configure)

in

         test -f src/Makefile || (cd src && PPPD=/usr/sbin/pppd
./configure --enable-plugin)

And do a:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

root at RouterFW:/opt/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.11/src# ./pppoe-server -h
Usage: ./pppoe-server [options]
    -I if_name     -- Specify interface (default eth0.)
..
    -k             -- Use kernel-mode PPPoE.
..
    -h             -- Print usage information.

PPPoE-Server Version 3.11, Copyright (C) 2001-2009 Roaring Penguin
Software Inc.
PPPoE-Server comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2
or (at your option) any later version.
http://www.roaringpenguin.com
root at RouterFW:/opt/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.11/src#

After this start the pppoe-server with:

/usr/sbin/pppoe-server -k -L 10.0.0.1 -R 10.0.0.10 -N 256 -o 0 -I eth2
-O /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options

Which will listen to interface eth2 with a maximum 256 sessions and
offset starting from 0.
If you start another pppoe-server for another interface be careful to
set offest starting from 256 not from 0 like first one.

I've attached an option file.

Hope this will help you.

--
Adrian Ban