[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe - would you use it for a companies commercial connection?

Palasamudram, Chaitra (NSN - IN/Bangalore) chaitra.palasamudram at nsn.com
Mon Jul 21 01:52:29 EDT 2014

Hi David,

I also had faced the same problem. The "read (asyncReadFromPPP): Session 29557: Input/output error" , comes because the looks like the user space pppoe is slow to pick the packets from the ppp_generic/async driver from the kernel.

The "write" in the ppp_driver fails in the kernel towards user space in this condition.

Finally, we moved to Kernel Mode PPPoE with rp-pppoe.so plugin in pppd. This solved this link instability issues...

Thanks
Chaitra

-----Original Message-----
From: rp-pppoe-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com [mailto:rp-pppoe-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com] On Behalf Of ext David F. Skoll
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:39 PM
To: rp-pppoe at lists.roaringpenguin.com
Subject: Re: [RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe - would you use it for a companies commercial connection?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:10:34 +1000
Paul Young <paul at arkig.com> wrote:

> I'll start with this - it does not appear to be very stable.

I've used it for years at home, at work, and at dozens of customer
sites and have never had any problems with it.

> The line that concerns me above is

> Jul 19 02:46:44 computer pppoe[15217]: read (asyncReadFromPPP):
> Session 29557: Input/output error

Why does that concern you?  That's just the UNIX error code returned
by the read system call when the modem hangs up.

> So much so I am thinking of removing these from config

> LCP_INTERVAL
> LCP_FAILURE

Bad idea.  Your connection will hang silently instead of a problem
being detected.

> and setting up my own checks on the link to the service provider. Or
> get a Cisco.....

It won't help.  DSL is crappy technology and the specific PPPoE client
is unlikely to make much difference.

Regards,

David.