[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe - would you use it for a companies commercial connection?

Paul Young paul at arkig.com
Mon Jul 21 02:04:31 EDT 2014

>I've used it for years at home, at work, and at dozens of customer
>sites and have never had any problems with it.

Thanks for the reply David. My own circle of friends are split in
their experience. How does one become a customer?

>Why does that concern you?  That's just the UNIX error code returned
>by the read system call when the modem hangs up.

It concerns me as it could be a cause or factor in why my end stops
responding to heartbeats. As my provider is saying that it is me
hanging up on them.

>Bad idea.  Your connection will hang silently instead of a problem
>being detected.

Agreed. But I need to do something to find out if pppd is in fact
falsely think the line is disconnected. And this is in part balanced
out by my own test script to see if the line is down.

>It won't help.  DSL is crappy technology and the specific PPPoE client
>is unlikely to make much difference.

I won't know the answer until I try it - I'll report back.