[RP-PPPoE] some PPPoe advice would be appreciated..

Adrian Ban adrian at abtelecom.ro
Fri Aug 10 03:55:06 EDT 2018

Hi,

Seems that you are not using -k option. Without this option, pppoe will run
in user-space rather than kernel-mode.

If you are using a Debian like OS you can check my github
https://github.com/Adrian Ban where I've created some patches for RP-PPPOE
to be compiled correctly with kernel-mode and also a package which has
scripts for systemd and which keeps tracking of the sessions for multiple
pppoe-servers instances.

If you are not compiling with configure --enable-plugin you will not get
the -k option available and the server runs in user-space.

Kind regards,
Adrian

On 10 August 2018 09:06:28 Stephan Viljoen <steph at bbi.email> wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I've configured a ppp server a while ago which worked rather well
> until recently when I've noticed the CPU taking some strain.
> The load average: 3.79, 3.95, 3.80  which is a little confusing since
> it's a rather beefy server with only about 220 or so active ppp
> accounts.  How would I go about troubleshooting the high CPU usage and
> what would you guys recommend is the most PPP sessions
> I should run on the below hardware ?
>
> Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.
>
> Let's start with the hardware:
> 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz (8 core) , total of 16
> cores with 32 threats.
> 64GB RAM
> two intel SSD drives
>
> Software
>
> CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611
> PPPoE-Server Version 3.11
> Authenticating from Radius with a mysql backend.
>
> I'm running three different instances of the server , each instance
> for a different network interface , vlan and security name.
>

> pppoe-server -N 250 -I e3i2.220:ppp -L 10.252.252.254 -S bbiWIRELESS
> pppoe-server -N 250 -I e2i2.707:adsl -L 10.254.254.254 -S bbiADSL -x 1
> pppoe-server -N 250 -I e1i3.202:ppp -T 60 -L 10.253.253.254 -S
> poelogin -O /etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options-maun -x 1
>
> ### Basic config file.
>
> noipx
> mtu 1452
> mru 1452
> require-pap
> ms-dns 168.167.251.210
> ms-dns 168.167.251.211
> lcp-echo-interval 60
> lcp-echo-failure 3
> plugin /etc/ppp/plugins/radius.so
> plugin /etc/ppp/plugins/radattr.so
> radius-config-file /etc/ppp/radius/radiusclient.conf
> logfile /var/log/pppd.log
>
> Thanks in advance,

This mail was scanned by BitDefender
For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/