[RP-PPPoE] Which timeout affects PADO packets?

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Wed Apr 17 14:06:13 EDT 2019

Lessons learned: if users are having similar problems they should add a
sleep until there are no more mixing of kernel and pppd messages, like
there was here:
https://dianne.skoll.ca/pipermail/rp-pppoe/2019q2/000566.html

How long should this sleep be? Well in
https://dianne.skoll.ca/pipermail/rp-pppoe/2019q2/000569.html
in fact I used
sleep 20 #at 01:15:28
but as one sees the kernel was still printing out messages in the
background for two more seconds, so probably a sleep 3 or 4 will do.

>> (P.S., still not sure why pty "pppoe -t 60 ..." didn't apparently change
>> anything.)

DS> You've configured pppd to use the rp-pppoe.so plugin.  As such, it
DS> never invokes the pppoe command.

I see, /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.7/rp-pppoe.so must have somewhat fewer options
than /usr/sbin/pppoe (which I still can't figure out how to use
directly, even though using pppd is fine already.)