[RP-PPPoE] Mostly cosmetic changes, a warning, and reproducibility for 3.13-BETA-1

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed May 6 09:11:40 EDT 2020

Hi,

> I have prepared another patchset[1] based on 3.14-BETA-1 ‒
> no major changes, just some things I noticed when reading the diffs;
> this time some (0003, a bit of 0004) are sourced from Debian;
> 0005 fixes a warning and potential truncation (which, considering
> the string ends in "-S '%s'", could potentially be pretty ugly).

Thanks; I looked over that patchset.  Everything looked sensible, so
I applied the patches.

> During the course of writing 0004, I noticed that it references
> "http://www.scyld.com", the name of which resolves, but with nothing
> responding at those IPs anymore;

I will remove that reference.  It's ancient history by now.

> scripts/pppoe-init-turbolinux.in has also caught my attention, as it only
> differs by whitespace and punctuation, and turbolinux having an
> underscore in its sysvinit functions:

I have removed that script.  It too is ancient history.

> In a similar vein, SUSE uses systemd now[7]. Not sure if other inits are
> available at the administrator's discretion, as I'm more of a Debian
> lass myself, but the paper makes it sound like that's probably a "no".

I think I should get rid of all the system-specific init scripts.  I don't
think anybody uses them any more, but I'll hold off on that until I get
more feedback from the list.

> Only one warning remains when building a default-with-plugin
> configuration: that of the VERSION macro in discovery.c being overriden
> by that from pppd; indeed, the Makefile defines the version as
> RP_VERSION for plugin.c only, to avoid that very same circumstance
> there. Would you accept a patch that changed all VERSIONs to
> RP_VERSION, in effect making VERSION mean "pppd version" (if present)
> and RP_VERSION "rp-pppoe version" across the entire tree?

Yes, that sounds fine.  I will do that and will release 3.14-BETA-2 in the next
couple of days.