[Remind-Fans] Second and Fourth Wednesdays and suchlike patterns?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Oct 15 11:08:09 EDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Speaker to Vegetables wrote:

> I have a number of events I'd like to put in my Remind calendar that
> happen twice a month and always on the same day of the week. Usually
> the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th occurance of a day-of-the-week in each
> month. For example, the 2nd and 4th Wednesday in each month. It's not
> obvious to me how to do this in a single reminder.

Nor to me.  I use two reminders for this kind of thing.  It probably
is possible to do it all-in-one, but I doubt the result would be
easy to read... actually, thinking about it, this should work for
the second and fourth Wednesday:

REM Wed SATISFY [(day(trigdate()) >= 8 && day(trigdate()) < 15) || (day(trigdate()) >= 22 && day(trigdate()) < 29)] MSG Second-and-Fourth Wednesday

Told you it would be ugly. :-)

> Remind appears to be plenty powerful enough to handle this, but the
> reminder language is the strongest evidence I've seen of recent
> extraterrestrial contact with earth humans. In other words I've given
> up on "really" understanding it.

:-)

I started Remind in 1989, and it kind of accreted features.  So yes, the
language is a bit of a mess.  One day, I'll clean it up.

Regards,

David.