[Remind-Fans] Unwanted newlines in output file

Les KH leskh at bitlink.cx
Fri Jan 24 11:40:49 EST 2003

On 24-Jan-03 David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Les KH wrote:
>
>>         leskh:~$   reminders -p /dev/ttyUSB1 > .reminders
>
> What is "reminders"?  I've never heard of it!  I'd like to see it, though.
> Regards,
> David.

I hunted all over the internet wanting a way to take the datebook info from
my Sony Clie (running PalmOS) and make it available on a web page so my
wife could look it up any time from any computer at work or at home. The
solution I finally found used rem2html from the remind program in conjunction
with reminders which is part of the pilot-link suite of programs.

reminders connects to the Palm device, extracts the datebook pdb file and makes
it available in a format ready for the remind program. So step one for me is to
get the datebook data via the usb port and put it somewhere I can use it:
        reminders -p /dev/ttyUSB1 > LesSchedule/.rawschedule

Then I run rem2html to make it available online. I started with:

remind -p1 ~/LesSchedule/.rawschedule | rem2html > ~/public_html/calendar.html

I'm still massaging it to create and refer to the proper backurl and forwurl so
you can browse to next and previous months, to remove " today" from all the
entries so it doesn't say "today" in every appointment in every box of the
calendar, making the paths non-relative, and then scp'ing it to my online box.

It's almost done. I still want to install 'tailbeep' to watch the messages
logfile so that as soon as the USB interface comes up (when I press 'sync' on
the Clie) that my little palm2web script fires up with calls for the right
previous, next and current months for 'remind' and finishes without further
intervention. I may also add an option for creating/viewing a simple,
ordered text list of upcoming appointments (the -s+1 switch). I really wish the
-p switch would take a + argument, creating a calendar for only 1 or 2 weeks.
But I'm not complaining. The makers of remind (and the rem2html piece) are to
be heartily thanked for the product.

        cheerio,
                Les...