[Remind-Fans] newbie question

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Mar 10 13:58:57 EST 2005

John Shafer wrote:

> First off, let me make sure that I understand what a timed
> reminder is supposed to do.  If I have "REM Mon AT 17:00 MSG Go home!"
> in my .reminder and run remind prior to 17:00, the message should not
> show up right?

Wrong; it will show up, unless you use the "-a" option.

> Running remind at 17:00 or later will result in the
> message being shown right?

No.  If you run it later than 17:00, it will show up when you
run remind (unless you use the -a option), but it won't be queued.

> My desire is to get a message that will appear at the desired time
> and then be able to set a duration for the message so that after a
> certain time it will disappear.

That's not possible with the command-line "remind" program; you might
want to look into tkremind.  It's a GUI for remind that makes this
kind of thing a lot easier.

Regards,

David.