[Remind-Fans] newbie question

A. Klostermaier remind-fan at klostermaier.de
Sat Mar 12 04:12:16 EST 2005

Bezugnehmend auf Ihr E-Mail/Referring to your e-mail
vom/from 10.03.2005 um/at 5:48 Uhr:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm new to Remind, just trying it out for the first time today.  I
>think that it has a lot of promise for me, but I'm confused about the
>timed reminders.  First off, I'm using Remind on Mac OS X and piping
>the output to my desktop using the utility GeekTool.

Hi John,

nice to meet somebody who uses remind on OS X! So do I and I too use GeekTool to have my calendar available on the desktop. Using expose for instant and all-the-time access to my schedule without having to launch an application is the strongest motiv for me to use remind. I have three calendars arranged on the desktop:

1. a big graphical display of the weeks ahead, covering most of the desktop using customized columns widths:
    /usr/local/bin/rem -m -v -c+8 -b1 -w145 -q

2. a small textual list with a lookout of coming events and how many days until they are due:
    /usr/local/bin/rem -m -b1 -q -ga

3. a week-overview of my kids school hours, which I maintain in their own file:
    /usr/local/bin/remind -m -v -c+1 -b1 -w94 -q ~/.rem_stundenplan

>Ok, so if I write a reminder such as:
>
>REM March 9 2005 AT 20:00 MSG timed reminder test
>
>and run remind prior to 20:00, the message "timed reminder test" shows
>up prior to when it's supposed to appear.  It appears that the timing
>function isn't being obeyed, but I can't figure out what I'm doing
>wrong.

Sorry that I cannot really help on this. I use the same timed reminders as you do, but I do want to see them ahead! If I check my current day in the calendar I want to see, that I have an appointment later the day at 20:00 so I never struggled with this issue. What I recognized is, that at the given time a new system process is activated for the timed reminder, but I have no idea what it is doing. So I got rid of it using the -q option.

BTW: to display appointments with an end time in my calender I write it like this:

    REM 9 Mar 2005 AT 20:00 MSG -21:00 myAppointment

The end time becomes part of the Message and is in no way functional, but looks perfect in the calendar.

> In what may be a related problem, if I write a reminder such
>as:
>
>REM March 5 2005 UNTIL March 13 2005 MSG test
>
>no output is there when I run remind (assuming that I'm running this
>on March 9)

The reminder is missing the repeat-parameter and should read like this:

    REM March 5 2005 *1 UNTIL March 13 2005 MSG test

Andreas