[Remind-Fans] How do you use remind?

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Fri Mar 25 16:10:06 EST 2005

I don't use it as a replacement for Outlook, I just use it for simple
reminders and not-so-simple calculated dates.  For example, I'm really
happy that it tells me when Mother's Day calculates to be, or Election
day, and so on.

However, I have done some adventurous stuff with remind.  I built an
entire "event calendar" system for a non-profit that I work with.
It's no longer in use (they stopped using it last year) but it worked
really well as long as it was in use.

The real power of this system was that it was constantly updated and
yet required almost no work on my part.  This is completely due to the
fact that the events weren't stored as dates, but as "remind" formulas.
  The prior system required a person to manually calculate each date and
copy the event's description over and over.  With remind, we would
input that an event happened "the first Monday of the month" and
another happened "every wednesday" and another happened on "the last
Friday of the month"... and thanks to remind (and cron) the calendar
would be updated every night no human intervention!

Each "event" is described in a file (one file per event) that look like
this:

TITLE The Event Title
REMIND first monday of the month
WEBSITE: http://foo.bar.com/event.html
DESCRIPTION
This is the
description of the event.
END

We would extract out all the dates like this:

grep ^REMIND" * | pre-translate | remind | post-translate
/directory/of/event-files

pre-translate would turn sentences like, "first monday of the month"
into REMIND commands that would output the date and the filename of the
event.
post-translate would turn the output of remind into 2 web pages using
the data in the files when outputting descriptions, etc.

I saved some old copies of the web pages so I could show people what
they looked like:
	The calendar:
		http://www.bizone.org/events-old.html
	The detailed listing:
		http://www.bizone.org/cal-old.html
The links don't work, but in the live system they linked to the right
place in the detail page.

post-translate also created a "what's happening in the next 10 days"
file which we would "#include" on various web pages.

Oh, and we generated an ASCII version that was appropriate for emailing
out once a month.

My plan was to create a web-based front end that would let
non-technical people edit these "event files" but I never got around to
it.  It was easy enough to do the updates with "vi".  In fact, it was
so easy that the calendar became a community calendar... we listed
events from other groups and it became a regional resource.

Tom